Telling other nation's stories

For requests from registered forum members, and responses to them. The requests can be for a story, for contacts in a new area, for someone interested in telling at an event, whatever, as long as it's at least loosely storytelling related.

Moderator: fairbruk

Forum rules
This forum is for requests from registered forum members, and responses to them. The requests can be for a story, for contacts in a new area, for someone interested in telling at an event, whatever, as long as it's at least loosely storytelling related.
Remember when making requests that this forum can be read by the entire Internet, and don't post personal matters best left personal.
As the SfS cannot vouch for anyone contacting you in response to a request, we strongly suggest asking for, and taking up, references of potential tellers.

Off topic posts may be edited, moved or deleted entirely by the moderators.
Otherwise: play nicely!

Telling other nation's stories

Postby Fiona Dowson on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:21 pm

I came across a comment on a chat forum from a native American that they weren't happy with white people telling native people's stories

how do other people feel about this? Should we only tell stories from our own culture or is it permissable for northern Europeans to tell stories about flying carpets?

Fiona
Fiona Dowson

Re: Telling other nation's stories

Postby fairbruk on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:31 pm

I know in the USA they are fussy about such things.

For me (and not claiming to be "right"), if it's in a book I tell without a second thought, but mention the source, and treat it with respect (I.e. not mocking the source culture for silly stories, as if I would any way).

If it's from a live performance, if the teller says how to treat it I will generally follow their instruction. If no comment again, acknowledge.

There again at a recent festival I heard of a teller saying don't retell these, so I never went to her performannce, I mean what is the point of hearing an untellable story?

Kevin
Kevin Blackburn
fairbruk
Site Admin

Return to Requests